Even the president of the United States sometimes needs a good makeover.
While president Barack Obama and his first family were away on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, his office was remodeled for the first time since President George W. Bush was the occupant.
Upgrades include new and reupholstered furniture, new paint and wallpaper, along with a new rug, paid for by the non-profit White House Historical Association through a contribution from the Presidential Inaugural Committee.
The new wheat, cream and blue colored oval-shaped rug is made of 25 percent recycled wool. The rug has the Presidential seal in the center and historical quotes of meaning to President Obama around the border:
1. “The Only Thing We Have to Fear is Fear Itself,” President Franklin D. Roosevelt
2. “The Arc of the Moral Universe is Long, But it Bends Towards Justice,” Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. “Government of the People, By the People, For the People,” President Abraham Lincoln
4. “No Problem of Human Destiny is Beyond Human Beings,” President John F. Kennedy
5. “The Welfare of Each of Us is Dependent Fundamentally Upon the Welfare of All of Us,” President Theodore Roosevelt
This is what the Oval Office looked like in 1990 after George Bush re-did it.
The White House has not revealed the cost of the Obama Oval overhaul, but it’s in line with what past presidents have done.
The president will show off his new office when he addresses the nation tonight from the Oval Office about the end of combat operations in Iraq.